tiger(redirected from have a tiger by the tail)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to have a tiger by the tail: not a chance
a. A large carnivorous feline mammal (Panthera tigris) of Asia, having a tawny coat with transverse black stripes.
b. Any of various similar wild felines, such as the jaguar, mountain lion, or lynx.
2. A person regarded as aggressive, audacious, or fierce.
[Middle English tigre, from Old English tigras, tigers, and from Old French tigre, both from Latin tigris, from Greek, of Iranian origin; see steig- in Indo-European roots.]
1. (Animals) a large feline mammal, Panthera tigris, of forests in most of Asia, having a tawny yellow coat with black stripes
2. (Animals) (not in technical use) any of various other animals, such as the jaguar, leopard, and thylacine
3. a dynamic, forceful, or cruel person
a. a country, esp in E Asia, that is achieving rapid economic growth
b. (as modifier): a tiger economy.
5. (Historical Terms) archaic a servant in livery, esp a page or groom
6. (Animals) short for tiger moth
7. slang South African a ten-rand note
8. have a tiger by the tail informal to find oneself in a situation that has turned out to be much more difficult to control than one had expected
[C13: from Old French tigre, from Latin tigris, from Greek, of Iranian origin]
ˈtigerish, ˈtigrish adj
ˈtigerishly, ˈtigrishly adv
ˈtigerishness, ˈtigrishness n
(Banking & Finance) See TIGR
n., pl. -gers, (esp. collectively for 1 ) -ger.
1. a large, powerful, tawny-colored and black-striped cat, Panthera tigris, of Asia.
2. a person resembling a tiger in fierceness, courage, etc.
[before 1000; Middle English tigre, Old English tīgras (pl.) < Latin tīgris, tigris < Greek tígris]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tiger - a fierce or audacious person; "he's a tiger on the tennis court"; "it aroused the tiger in me"|
|2.||tiger - large feline of forests in most of Asia having a tawny coat with black stripes; endangered|
tiger cub - a young tiger
genus Panthera, Panthera - lions; leopards; snow leopards; jaguars; tigers; cheetahs; saber-toothed tigers
Bengal tiger - southern short-haired tiger
tigress - a female tiger
tiger[ˈtaɪgəʳ] n → tigre f
tiger(ˈtaigə) – feminine ˈtigress – noun
a large wild animal of the cat family, with a striped coat. tier نَمِر тигър tigre tygr; tygřice der/die Tiger(in) tiger τίγρης, τίγρηtigre; tigresa tiiger ببر tiikeri tigre; tigresseנמר बाघ tigar tigris harimau tígrisdÿr tigre 虎 호랑이 tigras tīģeris harimau tijger tigertygrystigre tigru тигр tiger tigar tiger, tigrinna เสือ kaplan 老虎 тигр چيتا con hổ 虎