Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to hellebore: false hellebore
1. Any of various plants of the genus Helleborus of the buttercup family, native to Eurasia, most species of which are poisonous.
2. Any of various plants of the genus Veratrum, especially V. viride of North America, having large leaves and greenish flowers and yielding toxic alkaloids used medicinally. Also called false hellebore, veratrum.
[Middle English ellebre, from Old French, from Latin elleborus, from Greek helleboros : perhaps hellos, fawn + -boros, eaten (from bibrōskein, to eat).]
1. (Plants) any plant of the Eurasian ranunculaceous genus Helleborus, esp H. niger (black hellebore), typically having showy flowers and poisonous parts. See also Christmas rose
2. (Plants) any of various liliaceous plants of the N temperate genus Veratrum, esp V. album, that have greenish flowers and yield alkaloids used in the treatment of heart disease
[C14: from Greek helleboros, of uncertain origin]
hel•le•bore(ˈhɛl əˌbɔr, -ˌboʊr)
1. any poisonous plant of the genus Helleborus, of the buttercup family, having basal leaves and clusters of flowers.
2. any poisonous plant of the genus Veratrum, of the lily family.
3. any of the poisonous or medicinal substances obtained from these plants.
[1555–65; < Greek helléboros]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hellebore - perennial herbs of the lily family having thick toxic rhizomes|
liliaceous plant - plant growing from a bulb or corm or rhizome or tuber
genus Veratrum, Veratrum - a genus of coarse poisonous perennial herbs; sometimes placed in subfamily Melanthiaceae
|2.||hellebore - any plant of the Eurasian genus Helleborus|
bear's foot, Helleborus foetidus, setterwort, stinking hellebore - digitate-leaved hellebore with an offensive odor and irritant qualities when taken internally
Christmas rose, Helleborus niger, winter rose, black hellebore - European evergreen plant with white or purplish rose-like winter-blooming flowers
black hellebore, Helleborus orientalis, lenten rose - slightly hairy perennial having deep green leathery leaves and flowers that are ultimately purplish-green
green hellebore, Helleborus viridis - deciduous plant with large deep green pedate leaves and nodding saucer-shaped green flowers
poisonous plant - a plant that when touched or ingested in sufficient quantity can be harmful or fatal to an organism