Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
he·mo·sta·sis(hē′mə-stā′sĭs, hē-mŏs′tə-) also he·mo·sta·sia (hē′mə-stā′zhə, -zhē-ə, -zē-ə)
1. The stoppage of bleeding or hemorrhage.
2. The stoppage of blood flow through a blood vessel or body part.
he•mo•sta•sis(ˌhi məˈsteɪ sɪs)
1. the stoppage of bleeding.
2. the stoppage of the circulation of blood in a part of the body.
3. stagnation of blood in a part.
the stoppage of bleeding or cessation of the circulation of the blood; stagnation of the blood in a part of the body. Also hemostasia, haemostasia.See also: Blood and Blood Vessels
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hemostasis - surgical procedure of stopping the flow of blood (as with a hemostat)|
surgical operation, surgical procedure, surgical process, surgery, operation - a medical procedure involving an incision with instruments; performed to repair damage or arrest disease in a living body; "they will schedule the operation as soon as an operating room is available"; "he died while undergoing surgery"
n. hemostasis, hemostasia, detención o contención (artificial o natural) de sangramiento.