hemp(redirected from hemplike)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
2. The tough, coarse fiber of the cannabis plant, used to make cordage, yarn, and fabric.
a. Any of various plants similar to cannabis, especially one yielding a similar fiber.
b. The fiber of such a plant.
[Middle English, from Old English hænep.]
1. (Plants) Also called: cannabis or marijuana an annual strong-smelling Asian plant, Cannabis sativa, having tough fibres, deeply lobed leaves, and small greenish flowers: family Cannabidaeceae. See also Indian hemp
2. (Plants) the fibre of this plant, used to make canvas, rope, etc
[Old English hænep; related to Old Norse hampr, Old High German hanaf, Greek kannabis, Dutch hennep]
ˈhempen, ˈhempˌlike adj
1. Also called Indian hemp , marijuana. a tall, coarse Asian plant, Cannabis sativa, of the family Cannabaceae, widely cultivated for its fiber and for its yield of intoxicating drugs.
2. the tough fiber of this plant, used for making rope, coarse fabric, etc.
3. any of various plants resembling hemp.
4. any of various fibers similar to hemp.
5. an intoxicating drug, as marijuana or hashish, prepared from the hemp plant.
[before 1000; Middle English; Old English henep, hænep, c. Old Saxon hanap, Old High German hanaf, Old Norse hampr; akin to Greek kánnabis]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hemp - a plant fiber |
rope - a strong line
bowstring hemp - hemp obtained from the sansevieria
|2.||hemp - any plant of the genus Cannabis; a coarse bushy annual with palmate leaves and clusters of small green flowers; yields tough fibers and narcotic drugs|
cannabis, ganja, marihuana, marijuana - the most commonly used illicit drug; considered a soft drug, it consists of the dried leaves of the hemp plant; smoked or chewed for euphoric effect
genus Cannabis - hemp: genus of coarse annuals native to central Asia and widely naturalized in north temperate regions; in some classifications included in the family Moraceae
Cannabis sativa, ganja, marihuana, marijuana - a strong-smelling plant from whose dried leaves a number of euphoriant and hallucinogenic drugs are prepared
|3.||hemp - a rope that is used by a hangman to execute persons who have been condemned to death by hanging|
gallows - an instrument of execution consisting of a wooden frame from which a condemned person is executed by hanging
running noose, slip noose, noose - a loop formed in a cord or rope by means of a slipknot; it binds tighter as the cord or rope is pulled
rope - a strong line
hemp[ˈhɛmp] n → chanvre m
(a plant from which is obtained) a coarse fibre used to make rope, bags, sails etc and the drug cannabis (hashish or marijuana). hennep, dagga قُنَّب коноп cânhamo konopí der Hanf hamp κάνναβη cáñamo kanep بوته شاهدانه hamppu chanvre קַנַבּוּס सन, शण, गांजा konoplja kender, hasis rami hampur canapa 麻 삼, 대마 kanapė kaņepes hem; ganja hennephamp konopie د سونډ بوټى ، كنف cânhamo cânepă конопля; пенька konope konoplja konoplja hampa ป่าน; ปอ; กัญชา kendir; kenevir 大麻 коноплі; гашиш پٹ سن کا ریشہ جس سے رسیاں وغیرہ بنتی ہیں cây gai dầu 大麻