Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Wikipedia.
Related to heterologous: heterologous vaccine, heterologous protein
a. Not corresponding or similar in position, value, structure, or function; not homologous.
b. Biology Relating to traits, such as organs or body parts, that do not correspond in structure or evolutionary origin.
2. Derived from a different species: a heterologous transplant; a heterologous gene.
3. Genetics Relating to chromosomes that do not normally pair during mitosis or meiosis.
4. Relating to cells or tissues that do not usually occur in a given part of the body: a heterologous tumor.
a. Relating to a vaccine or serum that confers immunity against a pathogen that is not identical to but is immunologically related to the pathogen used to create the vaccine or serum.
b. Relating to an antigen and antibody that do not correspond to one another.
het′er·ol′o·gy (-jē) n.
1. (Pathology) pathol of, relating to, or designating cells or tissues not normally present in a particular part of the body
2. (Biology) (esp of parts of an organism or of different organisms) differing in structure or origin
het•er•ol•o•gous(ˌhɛt əˈrɒl ə gəs)
1. of unlike evolutionary origin, as apparently similar organic structures.
2. consisting of dissimilar tissue, as that of another species or that of a tumor.
3. pertaining to an antigen that elicits a reaction in more than one kind of antibody.
het`er•ol′o•gy (-dʒi) n.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||heterologous - not corresponding in structure or evolutionary origin|
analogous - corresponding in function but not in evolutionary origin; "the wings of a bee and those of a hummingbird are analogous"
homologous - having the same evolutionary origin but not necessarily the same function; "the wing of a bat and the arm of a man are homologous"
|2.||heterologous - derived from organisms of a different but related species; "a heterologous graft"|
autologous - derived from organisms of the selfsame individual; "autologous blood donation"
homologous - corresponding or similar in position or structure or function or characteristics; especially derived from an organism of the same species; "a homologous tissue graft"
a. heterólogo-a; derivado de un organismo o especie diferente.