Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to hierarch: coarctate, aortarctia
1. One who occupies a position of authority in a religious hierarchy.
2. One who occupies a high position in a hierarchy: governmental hierarchs.
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms)
a. a person in a position of high priestly authority
b. a person holding high rank in a religious hierarchy
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a person at a high level in a hierarchy
hi•er•arch(ˈhaɪ əˌrɑrk, ˈhaɪ rɑrk)
1. a person who rules or has authority in sacred matters; high priest.
2. a person having high position or considerable authority.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hierarch - a person who holds a high position in a hierarchy|
pecking order, power structure, hierarchy - the organization of people at different ranks in an administrative body
|2.||hierarch - a senior clergyman and dignitary |
priest - a clergyman in Christian churches who has the authority to perform or administer various religious rites; one of the Holy Orders