high hat(redirected from high-hatting)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to high-hatting: hating
1. See top hat.
2. also hi hat Music A set of high-hat cymbals.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) another name for top hat
2. informal a snobbish person
3. (Instruments) two facing brass cymbals triggered by means of a foot pedal
informal snobbish and arrogant
vb (tr) , -hats, -hatting or -hatted
informal chiefly US and Canadian to treat (a person) in a snobbish or offhand way
v. -hat•ted, -hat•ting,
adj. Informal. v.t.
1. to snub or treat condescendingly.adj.
2. snobbish; haughty.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||high hat - cymbals that are operated by a foot pedal|
cymbal - a percussion instrument consisting of a concave brass disk; makes a loud crashing sound when hit with a drumstick or when two are struck together
|2.||high hat - a man's hat with a tall crown; usually covered with silk or with beaver fur|
chapeau, hat, lid - headdress that protects the head from bad weather; has shaped crown and usually a brim
man's clothing - clothing that is designed for men to wear