highball(redirected from highballed)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to highballed: lowball
1. A cocktail served in a tall glass and consisting of liquor, such as whiskey, mixed with water or a carbonated beverage.
a. A railroad signal indicating full speed ahead.
b. A high-speed train.
intr.v. high·balled, high·ball·ing, high·balls Slang
To move ahead at full speed.
1. (Cookery) a long iced drink consisting of a spirit base with water, soda water, etc
2. (Railways) (originally in railway use) a signal that the way ahead is clear and one may proceed
3. (intr) to move at great speed
4. (Automotive Engineering) (tr) to drive (a vehicle) at great speed
[C19: (in sense 2) from the early railway signal consisting of a ball hoisted to the top of a pole]
1. a drink of whiskey mixed with club soda or ginger ale and served with ice in a tall glass.
a. a signal to start a train that is given with the hand or with a lamp.
b. a signal for a train to move at full speed.
3. Slang. to move at full speed.
Past participle: highballed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||highball - a mixed drink made of alcoholic liquor mixed with water or a carbonated beverage and served in a tall glass|
mixed drink - made of two or more ingredients
cobbler - tall sweetened iced drink of wine or liquor with fruit
gin and tonic - gin and quinine water
Scotch and soda - a highball with Scotch malt whiskey and club soda
sling - a highball with liquor and water with sugar and lemon or lime juice
Slang. To move swiftly:
bolt, bucket, bustle, dart, dash, festinate, flash, fleet, flit, fly, haste, hasten, hurry, hustle, pelt, race, rocket, run, rush, sail, scoot, scour, shoot, speed, sprint, tear, trot, whirl, whisk, whiz, wing, zip, zoom.
Chiefly British: nip.