Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
on blades of grass
A white coating of ice crystals formed by sublimation of atmospheric water vapor on a surface. Also called white frost.
(Physical Geography) a deposit of needle-like ice crystals formed on the ground by direct condensation at temperatures below freezing point. Also called: white frost
1. a degree or state of coldness sufficient to cause the freezing of water.
2. a covering of minute ice crystals, formed from the atmosphere at night upon the ground and exposed objects when they have cooled by radiation below the dew point.
3. the act or process of freezing.
4. coldness of manner or temperament.
5. Informal. something that meets with lack of enthusiasm, as a theatrical performance or party; failure; flop.v.t.
6. to cover with frost.
7. to give a frostlike surface to (glass, metal, etc.).
8. to cover or decorate with frosting or icing; ice: to frost a cake.
9. to bleach selected strands of (a person's hair).
10. to kill or injure by frost.
11. to make angry.v.i.
12. to become covered with frost or freeze (often fol. by up or over).
13. (of varnish, paint, etc.) to dry with a film resembling frost.
[before 900; Middle English, Old English frost, forst; c. Old High German, Old Norse frost; akin to freeze]
Robert (Lee), 1874–1963, U.S. poet.