hocus(redirected from hocussing)
Also found in: Idioms.
tr.v. ho·cused, ho·cus·ing, ho·cus·es or ho·cussed or ho·cus·sing or ho·cus·ses
1. To fool or deceive; hoax.
2. To infuse (food or drink) with a drug.
[Short for hocus-pocus.]
vb (tr) , -cuses, -cusing, -cused, -cuses, -cussing or -cussed
1. to take in; trick
2. to stupefy, esp with a drug
3. to add a drug to (a drink)
v.t. -cused, -cus•ing (esp. Brit.) -cussed, -cus•sing.
1. to play a trick on; hoax.
2. to stupefy, as with drugged liquor.
3. to infuse (liquor) with a drug.
[1665–75; short for hocus -pocus]
Past participle: hocused/hocussed