Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
n. pl. hogfish or hog·fish·es
1. An edible reddish wrasse (Lachnolaimus maximus) of the western Atlantic Ocean, having a long snout and long spines on the dorsal fin. Also called hog snapper.
2. Any of various wrasses of the genus Bodianus.
n, pl -fish or -fishes
1. (Animals) a wrasse, Lachnolaimus maximus, that occurs in the Atlantic off the SE coast of North America. The head of the male resembles a pig's snout
2. (Animals) another name for pigfish1
n., pl. (esp. collectively) -fish, (esp. for kinds or species) -fish•es.
1. a large, edible wrasse, Lachnolaimus maximus, of the W Atlantic.
2. any of various other fishes having a fancied resemblance to a hog, as the pigfish.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hogfish - large wrasse of western Atlantic; head of male resembles a pig's snout|
wrasse - chiefly tropical marine fishes with fleshy lips and powerful teeth; usually brightly colored
|2.||hogfish - found from Long Island southward |
grunt - medium-sized tropical marine food fishes that utter grunting sounds when caught