homer(redirected from homered)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Ho·mer(hō′mər) fl. c. 750 bc.
Greek epic poet. Two of the greatest works in Western literature, the Iliad and the Odyssey, are attributed to him.
1. Baseball A home run.
2. A homing pigeon.
intr.v. ho·mer·ed, ho·mer·ing, ho·mers Baseball
To hit a home run: homered in the fifth inning.
A unit of capacity used by the ancient Hebrews, equal to 10 ephahs (about 10 bushels) or 10 baths (about 100 gallons). Also called kor.
1. (Animals) another word for homing pigeon
2. (Baseball) US and Canadian an informal word for home run
1. (Biography) c. 800 bc, Greek poet to whom are attributed the Iliad and the Odyssey. Almost nothing is known of him, but it is thought that he was born on the island of Chios and was blind
2. (Biography) Winslow. 1836–1910, US painter, noted for his seascapes and scenes of working life
n., v. -ered, -er•ing. n.
1. home run.
3. to hit a home run.
an ancient Hebrew unit of capacity equal to ten baths in liquid measure or ten ephahs in dry measure. Also called kor.
[1525–35; < Hebrew ḥōmer literally, heap]
1. 9th-century B.C. Greek epic poet: reputed author of the Iliad and Odyssey.
2. Winslow, 1836–1910, U.S. artist.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||homer - a base hit on which the batter scores a run|
base hit, safety - (baseball) the successful act of striking a baseball in such a way that the batter reaches base safely
|2.||Homer - ancient Greek epic poet who is believed to have written the Iliad and the Odyssey (circa 850 BC)|
|3.||homer - an ancient Hebrew unit of capacity equal to 10 baths or 10 ephahs|
capacity measure, capacity unit, cubage unit, cubature unit, cubic content unit, cubic measure, displacement unit, volume unit - a unit of measurement of volume or capacity
bath - an ancient Hebrew liquid measure equal to about 10 gallons
|4.||Homer - United States painter best known for his seascapes (1836-1910)|
|5.||homer - pigeon trained to return home |
domestic pigeon - domesticated pigeon raised for sport or food
carrier pigeon - a homing pigeon used to carry messages
|Verb||1.||homer - hit a home run|