Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
(Social Welfare) a planned area of housing, often with its own shops and other amenities
de•vel•op•ment(dɪˈvɛl əp mənt)
1. the act of developing.
2. a significant consequence or event.
3. a developed state or form; maturity.
4. the section of a musical composition in which themes or motifs are developed.
5. a large group of dwellings, often of similar design and constructed as a community, esp. by a real-estate developer.
6. the raising of funds, expansion of activities or opportunities, etc., esp. for an organization or foundation.
[1745–55; < French]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||housing estate - a residential area where the houses were all planned and built at the same time|
development - a district that has been developed to serve some purpose; "such land is practical for small park developments"
residential area, residential district, community - a district where people live; occupied primarily by private residences
Britain, Great Britain, U.K., UK, United Kingdom, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - a monarchy in northwestern Europe occupying most of the British Isles; divided into England and Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland; `Great Britain' is often used loosely to refer to the United Kingdom