Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
a. Buildings or other shelters in which people live: a shortage of housing in the city.
b. A place to live; a dwelling: She came to college early to look for housing.
2. Provision of lodging or shelter: the housing of refugees; a contract that includes housing.
3. Something that covers, protects, or supports, especially:
a. A frame, bracket, or box for holding or protecting a mechanical part: a wheel housing.
b. An enclosing frame in which a shaft revolves.
4. A hole, groove, or slot in a piece of wood into which another piece is inserted.
5. A niche for a statue.
a. The part of a mast that is below deck.
b. The part of a bowsprit that is inside the hull.
1. An ornamental or protective covering for a saddle.
2. often housings Trappings for a horse.