Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A fit of anger or annoyance; a pique: stormed off in a huff.
v. huffed, huff·ing, huffs
1. To puff; blow.
2. To make noisy, empty threats; bluster.
3. To react indignantly; take offense.
4. Slang To inhale the fumes of a volatile chemical or substance as a means of becoming intoxicated.
1. To cause to puff up; inflate.
2. To treat with insolence; bully.
3. To anger; annoy.
4. Slang To inhale the fumes of (a volatile chemical, for example) as a means of becoming intoxicated.
[Imitative of the sound of puffing.]