Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to hydroplane: hydroplane racing
1. See seaplane.
2. A motorboat designed so that the prow and much of the hull lift out of the water and skim the surface at high speeds.
3. See hydrofoil.
4. A horizontal rudder on a submarine.
intr.v. hy·dro·planed, hy·dro·plan·ing, hy·dro·planes
1. To drive or ride in a hydroplane.
a. To skim along on the surface of the water.
b. To be or go out of control by skimming along the surface of a wet road. Used of a motor vehicle.
1. (Nautical Terms) a motorboat equipped with hydrofoils or with a shaped bottom that raises its hull out of the water at high speeds
2. (Aeronautics) an attachment to an aircraft to enable it to glide along the surface of water
3. (Aeronautics) another name (esp US) for a seaplane
4. (Nautical Terms) a horizontal vane on the hull of a submarine for controlling its vertical motion
(Nautical Terms) (intr) (of a boat) to rise out of the water in the manner of a hydroplane
n., v. -planed, -plan•ing. n.
1. a seaplane.
2. an attachment to an airplane enabling it to glide on the water.
3. a light, high-powered boat, esp. one with hydrofoils or a stepped bottom, designed to plane along the surface of the water at very high speeds.
4. a horizontal rudder for submerging or elevating a submarine.v.i.
5. to skim over water in the manner of a hydroplane.
6. to travel in or pilot a hydroplane.
7. (of a vehicle or a tire) to ride on a film of water on a wet surface with a resulting decrease in braking and steering effectiveness.
Past participle: hydroplaned
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hydroplane - an airplane that can land on or take off from water; "the designer of marine aircraft demonstrated his newest hydroplane"|
aeroplane, airplane, plane - an aircraft that has a fixed wing and is powered by propellers or jets; "the flight was delayed due to trouble with the airplane"
flying boat - a large seaplane that floats with its fuselage in the water rather than on pontoons
|2.||hydroplane - a speedboat that is equipped with winglike structures that lift it so that it skims the water at high speeds; "the museum houses a replica of the jet hydroplane that broke the record"|
speedboat - a fast motorboat
|Verb||1.||hydroplane - glide on the water in a hydroplane|