Hypercorrectness - definition of hypercorrectness by The Free Dictionary
hypercorrect (redirected from hypercorrectness)
Of, relating to, or marked by hypercorrection.
1. excessively correct or fastidious
2. (Linguistics) resulting from or characterized by hypercorrection
hy•per•cor•rect (ˌhaɪ pər kəˈrɛkt)
1. correct or overly fastidious: hypercorrect manners.
2. of or characterized by hypercorrection.
References in periodicals archive
Not even his own children accept the excessive formality of names like William (Willie) or Karl Marx (Buddy), and Portia expresses herself through the black dialect which is natural and spontaneous for her, in contrast to the hypercorrectness
of her father's English, even more formal than that of the whites.
33) Phyllis Mindell mentions other weak grammar forms to be dropped such as tag questions, hypercorrectness
, and cluttering clauses.
In other words, hypercorrectness
should be avoided.