Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
v. hy·per·ven·ti·lat·ed, hy·per·ven·ti·lat·ing, hy·per·ven·ti·lates
1. To breathe abnormally fast or deeply so as to effect hyperventilation.
2. To breathe in this manner as from excitement or anxiety.
To subject to hyperventilation.
(Pathology) (intr) to breathe in an abnormally deep, long, and rapid manner, sometimes resulting in cramp and dizziness
hy•per•ven•ti•late(ˌhaɪ pərˈvɛn tlˌeɪt)
v. -lat•ed, -lat•ing. v.i.
1. to be affected with hyperventilation; breathe abnormally fast and deep.
2. to express excessive enthusiasm or excitement.v.t.
3. to cause (a patient) to breathe more rapidly and deeply than normal.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||hyperventilate - produce hyperventilation in; "The nurses had to hyperventilate the patient"|
hyperventilate - breathe excessively hard and fast; "The mountain climber started to hyperventilate"
|2.||hyperventilate - breathe excessively hard and fast; "The mountain climber started to hyperventilate"|
breathe, take a breath, suspire, respire - draw air into, and expel out of, the lungs; "I can breathe better when the air is clean"; "The patient is respiring"
hyperventilate - produce hyperventilation in; "The nurses had to hyperventilate the patient"