Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to iambic: Iambic pentameter, Iambic meter, Iambic tetrameter
Consisting of iambs or characterized by their predominance: iambic pentameter.
1. An iamb.
2. often iambics A verse, stanza, or poem written in iambs.
1. (Poetry) of, relating to, consisting of, or using an iamb or iambs
2. (Poetry) (in Greek literature) denoting a type of satirical verse written in iambs
3. (Poetry) a metrical foot, line, or stanza of verse consisting of iambs
4. (Poetry) a type of ancient Greek satirical verse written in iambs
1. pertaining to, consisting of, or employing iambs.
2. of or designating Greek satirical poetry written in iambs.n.
a. an iamb.
b. Usu., iambics. a verse or poem consisting of iambs.
4. a satirical Greek poem in this meter.
[1565–75; < Latin < Greek]
A metrical foot of two syllables with the second accented.