Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to imbibition: Imbibition Process
1. The act of imbibing.
2. Chemistry Absorption of fluid by a colloid or porous solid that often results in swelling.
1. (Chemistry) chem the absorption or adsorption of a liquid by a gel or solid
2. (Photography) photog the absorption of dyes by gelatine, used in some colour printing processes
3. obsolete the act of imbibing
im•bi•bi•tion(ˌɪm bəˈbɪʃ ən)
1. the act of imbibing.
2. the absorption of solvent by a gel.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||imbibition - (chemistry) the absorption of a liquid by a solid or gel|
chemical science, chemistry - the science of matter; the branch of the natural sciences dealing with the composition of substances and their properties and reactions
|2.||imbibition - the act of consuming liquids |
consumption, ingestion, intake, uptake - the process of taking food into the body through the mouth (as by eating)
potation - the act of drinking (especially an alcoholic drink)
n. imbibición, absorción de un líquido por un sólido causante de inflamación.