Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Wikipedia.
1. Lacking reverence; not pious.
2. Lacking due respect or dutifulness: impious toward one's parents.
[From Latin impius : in-, not; see in-1 + pius, dutiful.]
1. lacking piety or reverence for a god; ungodly
2. lacking respect; undutiful
im•pi•ous(ˈɪm pi əs, ɪmˈpaɪ-)
1. not pious; lacking reverence, as for God or religious practice; irreligious.
[1565–75; < Latin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||impious - lacking piety or reverence for a god|
irreligious - hostile or indifferent to religion
profane, secular - not concerned with or devoted to religion; "sacred and profane music"; "secular drama"; "secular architecture", "children being brought up in an entirely profane environment"
wicked - morally bad in principle or practice
pious - having or showing or expressing reverence for a deity; "pious readings"
|2.||impious - lacking due respect or dutifulness; "impious toward one's parents"; "an undutiful son"|
disrespectful - exhibiting lack of respect; rude and discourteous; "remarks disrespectful of the law"; "disrespectful in the presence of his parents"; "disrespectful toward his teacher"