imprint(redirected from imprinting on)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
v. im·print·ed, im·print·ing, im·prints
1. To produce (a mark or pattern) on a surface by pressure.
2. To produce a mark on (a surface) by pressure.
3. To impart a strong or vivid impression of: "We imprint our own ideas onto acts" (Ellen Goodman).
4. To fix firmly, as in the mind: He tried to imprint the telephone number in his memory.
5. To cause (a very young animal) to recognize and be attracted to another animal or to an object identified as the parent. Often used with on.
6. To modify (a gene) chemically, as by DNA methylation, affecting the gene's expression in offspring.
To become imprinted on another animal or on an object identified as the parent. Used of newborn or very young animals. Often used with on: lab animals that imprint on researchers.
1. A mark or pattern produced by imprinting; an impression.
2. A distinguishing influence or effect: Spanish architecture that shows the imprint of Islamic rule.
3. A chemical modification of a gene affecting the gene's expression in offspring.
a. A publisher's name, often with the date, address, and edition, printed at the bottom of a title page of a publication.
b. A publishing business with a unique name, usually owned by a larger publishing firm: started a paperback imprint for young-adult novels.
[Middle English emprenten, from Old French empreinter, from empreinte, impression, from feminine past participle of empreindre, to print, from Latin imprimere, to impress; see impress1.]
1. a mark or impression produced by pressure, printing, or stamping
2. a characteristic mark or indication; stamp: the imprint of great sadness on his face.
3. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) the publisher's name and address, usually with the date of publication, in a book, pamphlet, etc
4. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) the printer's name and address on any printed matter
5. to produce (a mark, impression, etc) on (a surface) by pressure, printing, or stamping: to imprint a seal on wax; to imprint wax with a seal.
6. to establish firmly; impress; stamp: to imprint the details on one's mind.
7. (Zoology) (of young animals) to undergo the process of imprinting
im•print(n. ˈɪm prɪnt; v. ɪmˈprɪnt)
1. a mark or indentation impressed on something.
2. any impression or impressed effect.
a. the designation under which a publisher issues a given list of titles.
b. a designation by which the books of a publisher are identified.
4. to mark by or as if by pressure.
5. to produce (a mark) on something by pressure.
6. to fix firmly on the mind.
7. to acquire or establish by imprinting: to imprint behavior.v.i.
8. to experience imprinting.
[1325–75; Middle English empreynten < Middle French empreindre < Latin imprimere to impress1]
Brief note in the margin of a map giving all or some of the following: date of publication, printing, name of publisher, printer, place of publication, number of copies printed, and related information.
Past participle: imprinted
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||imprint - a distinctive influence; "English stills bears the imprint of the Norman invasion"|
influence - a cognitive factor that tends to have an effect on what you do; "her wishes had a great influence on his thinking"
|2.||imprint - a concavity in a surface produced by pressing; "he left the impression of his fingers in the soft mud"|
dimple - a small natural hollow in the cheek or chin; "His dimple appeared whenever he smiled"
groove, channel - a long narrow furrow cut either by a natural process (such as erosion) or by a tool (as e.g. a groove in a phonograph record)
dimple - any slight depression in a surface; "there are approximately 336 dimples on a golf ball"
dip - a depression in an otherwise level surface; "there was a dip in the road"
crinkle, wrinkle, furrow, crease, seam, line - a slight depression in the smoothness of a surface; "his face has many lines"; "ironing gets rid of most wrinkles"
|3.||imprint - an identification of a publisher; a publisher's name along with the date and address and edition that is printed at the bottom of the title page; "the book was published under a distinguished imprint"|
identification - evidence of identity; something that identifies a person or thing
|4.||imprint - an impression produced by pressure or printing|
|5.||imprint - a device produced by pressure on a surface|
device - an instrumentality invented for a particular purpose; "the device is small enough to wear on your wrist"; "a device intended to conserve water"
impression - (dentistry) an imprint of the teeth and gums in wax or plaster; "the dentist took an impression for use in preparing an inlay"
|Verb||1.||imprint - establish or impress firmly in the mind; "We imprint our ideas onto our children"|
|2.||imprint - mark or stamp with or as if with pressure; "To make a batik, you impress a design with wax"|
change surface - undergo or cause to undergo a change in the surface
stamp - to mark, or produce an imprint in or on something; "a man whose name is permanently stamped on our maps"
أثَـريَطْبَعُ في الذِّهْن، يَترُك أثرا
greypa, festa ; òrÿsta; stimplamerki, far, spor
A. [ɪmˈprɪnt] VT
3. (Bio, Psych) → imprimir (on a)
[foot, shoe] → empreinte f
[ɪmˈprɪnt] vt (= mark) to imprint sth on sth → imprimer qch sur qch
(= mark) leather → prägen; paper → bedrucken; seal etc → aufprägen (→ on auf +acc); (on paper) → aufdrucken (→ on auf +acc)
a mark made by pressure. She saw the imprint of a foot in the sand. afdruk أثَـر отпечатък marca otisk der Abdruck aftryk; spor αποτύπωμαhuella, marca, impresión jälg اثر jälki empreinte סִימָן מוּטְבַּע छाप otisak lenyomat, nyom jejak merki, far, spor impronta 跡 각인(刻印)하다 atspaudas, įspaudas nospiedums; (pārdzīvojuma u.tml.) pēdas kesan afdrukavtrykk, spor, merkeodcisk نښانى كول، مهر ول، چاپول ( لكه په ټايپ باند دكاغذ )، چاپ، مهر (لكه دكتاب سر ياپاى چې دخپروونكى يا دناشر له خوا مهر كړل شى marca amprentă отпечаток otlačok odtis otisak avtryck, märke รอยประทับ iz, damga 壓印 відбиток نقش dấu 压印(imˈprint) verb
to make (a mark) on something by pressure; to fix permanently (in the mind or memory). afdruk يَطْبَعُ في الذِّهْن، يَترُك أثرا отпечатвам imprimir vtisknout; vštípit einprägen præge; prente εντυπώνωimprimir, grabar (millelegi) märki jätma نقش بستن؛ نقش انداختن pinaa imprimer, graver לְהַטבִּיע मन में बैठा देना utisnuti (bele)nyom, bevés mengukir, menanamkan greypa, festa (í minni); þrÿsta; stimpla imprimere 刻印する 각인 įspausti, įkalti į galvą, įsmigti (į atmintį) atstāt pēdas; iespiesties (atmiņā) menekankan bedrukken, inprentenprege, innprente odcisnąć نښانى كول، مهر ول imprimir a grava; a păstra (în minte) отпечатывать; запечатлевать vtlačiť vtisniti utisnuti trycka ฝังใจ etkilemek, tesir etmek 在...上壓印，使銘記 відбивати, залишати слід نقش کرنا đóng dấu 在...上压出记号，使铭记