Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to incidence: Incidence matrix, Normal incidence
1. The rate or extent of occurrence or effect: a high incidence of malaria in the tropics.
2. Usage Problem The fact or an instance of happening; occurrence: did not expect criticism and was surprised by its incidence.
a. The arrival of radiation or a projectile at a surface.
b. Angle of incidence.
Usage Note: The singular noun incidence and the plural noun incidents sound alike and are sometimes confused. In its main (and, many would insist, proper) use, incidence refers to the rate at which something happens, as in The city has taken measures to reduce the incidence of vandalism. An incident is a discrete event, so proper use in the plural would be There were fewer incidents of vandalism in schools last year. Confusion arises because incidence is sometimes used for the fact or an instance of occurrence, especially in the plural, as in Incidences of religious intolerance are on the rise, creating tensions within many communities. Although sentences like this one can be justified as referring to rates of occurrence, it is unlikely that readers will interpret them in this way without explicit indication of what is meant. Many people consider such usages to be infelicitous, if not wrong. In our 2002 survey, 67 percent of the Usage Panel found the sentence on religious intolerance unacceptable.
1. degree, extent, or frequency of occurrence; amount: a high incidence of death from pneumonia.
2. the act or manner of impinging on or affecting by proximity or influence
3. (General Physics) physics the arrival of a beam of light or particles at a surface. See also angle of incidence
4. (Mathematics) geometry the partial coincidence of two configurations, such as a point that lies on a circle
in•ci•dence(ˈɪn sɪ dəns)
1. the rate or range of occurrence or influence of something.
2. occurrence; happening.
a. the striking of a ray of light, beam of electrons, etc., on a surface, or the direction of striking.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||incidence - the relative frequency of occurrence of something|
relative frequency, frequency - the ratio of the number of observations in a statistical category to the total number of observations
morbidity - the relative incidence of a particular disease
|2.||incidence - the striking of a light beam on a surface; "he measured the angle of incidence of the reflected light"|
optical phenomenon - a physical phenomenon related to or involving light
incidence[ˈɪnsɪdəns] n [crime, disease] → fréquence f
incidence[ˈɪnsɪd/əns] n (extent, rate, of disease, crime) → incidenza
the angle of incidence (Phys) → l'angolo d'incidenza
n. incidencia; frecuencia.