encrust(redirected from incrusting)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal.
Related to incrusting: incrustation
en·crust(ĕn-krŭst′) also in·crust (ĭn-)
tr.v. en·crust·ed, en·crust·ing, en·crusts also in·crust·ed or in·crust·ing or in·crusts
1. To cover or coat with or as if with a crust: tires encrusted with dried mud; legalities that were encrusted with tradition.
2. To decorate by inlaying or overlaying with a contrasting material: encrust wood paneling with ivory.
1. (tr) to cover or overlay with or as with a crust or hard coating
2. to form or cause to form a crust or hard coating
3. (tr) to decorate lavishly, as with jewels
ˌencrusˈtation, ˌincrusˈtation n
1. to cover or line with a crust or hard coating.
2. to form into a crust.
3. to deposit as a crust.v.i.
4. to form a crust.
[1635–45; < Latin incrustāre]
Past participle: encrusted
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||encrust - cover or coat with a crust|
|2.||encrust - decorate or cover lavishly (as with gems)|
|3.||encrust - form a crust or a hard layer|
effloresce - become encrusted with crystals due to evaporation