Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. often indentures A contract binding one party into the service of another for a specified term.
a. A deed executed by more than one party.
b. An instrument or agreement specifying the terms of a bond or trust.
3. A document separated into portions so as to create indentations that allow the holders of the separate portions to match up in order to confirm authenticity.
tr.v. in·den·tured, in·den·tur·ing, in·den·tures
To bind into the service of another by indenture.
[Middle English endenture, a written agreement, from Anglo-Norman, from endenter, to indent (from the matching notches on multiple copies of the documents); see indent1.]
1. (Law) any deed, contract, or sealed agreement between two or more parties
2. (Law) (formerly) a deed drawn up in duplicate, each part having correspondingly indented edges for identification and security
3. (Commerce) (often plural) a contract between an apprentice and his master
4. a formal or official list or certificate authenticated for use as a voucher, etc
5. a less common word for indentation
6. (Law) (intr) to enter into an agreement by indenture
7. (Law) (tr) to bind (an apprentice, servant, etc) by indenture
8. (tr) obsolete to indent or wrinkle
n., v. -tured, -tur•ing. n.
1. a deed or agreement executed in two or more copies with edges correspondingly indented.
2. a contract by which a person, as an apprentice, is bound to service.
3. an official or formal document for use as a voucher.
5. to bind by indenture, as an apprentice.
[1275–1325; Middle English < Medieval Latin indentūra]
Past participle: indentured
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||indenture - a concave cut into a surface or edge (as in a coastline)|
notch - a V-shaped or U-shaped indentation carved or scratched into a surface; "there were four notches in the handle of his revolver"
notch - a V-shaped indentation; "mandibular notch"
cleft - a split or indentation in something (as the palate or chin)
|2.||indenture - formal agreement between the issuer of bonds and the bondholders as to terms of the debt|
written agreement - a legal document summarizing the agreement between parties
|3.||indenture - a contract binding one party into the service of another for a specified term|
contract - a binding agreement between two or more persons that is enforceable by law
|4.||indenture - the space left between the margin and the start of an indented line|
|Verb||1.||indenture - bind by or as if by indentures, as of an apprentice or servant; "an indentured servant"|