Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Often Offensive An unbeliever with respect to a particular religion, especially Christianity or Islam.
2. One who has no religious beliefs.
3. One who doubts or rejects a particular doctrine, system, or principle.
[Middle English infidele, from Old French, from Latin īnfidēlis, disloyal : in-, not; see in-1 + fidēlis, faithful (from fidēs, faith; see bheidh- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots).]
a person who has no religious belief; unbeliever
1. rejecting a specific religion, esp Christianity or Islam
2. of, characteristic of, or relating to unbelievers or unbelief
[C15: from Medieval Latin infidēlis, from Latin (adj): unfaithful, from in-1 + fidēlis faithful; see feal]
in•fi•del(ˈɪn fɪ dl, -ˌdɛl)
a. a person who does not accept a particular religion, esp. Christianity.
b. (in Muslim use) a person who does not accept the Islamic faith; kaffir.
2. a person who has no religious faith; an unbeliever.
3. a person who disbelieves a particular theory, belief, etc.adj.
4. of or concerning infidels; heathen.
5. without religious faith.
6. Also, in`fi•del′ic (-ˈdɛl ɪk) of, pertaining to, or characteristic of unbelievers or infidels.
[1425–75; late Middle English < Late Latin infidēlis unbelieving, Latin: unfaithful, treacherous]
syn: See atheist.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||infidel - a person who does not acknowledge your god|
nonreligious person - a person who does not manifest devotion to a deity
paynim - a heathen; a person who is not a Christian (especially a Muslim)
n (Hist, Rel) → Ungläubige(r) mf