Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Acronyms.
1. Not working or functioning.
2. No longer in force; countermanded: declared the previous instructions inoperative.
1. not operating
2. useless or ineffective
in•op•er•a•tive(ɪnˈɒp ər ə tɪv, -ˈɒp rə tɪv, -ˈɒp əˌreɪ tɪv)
1. not operative; not in operation.
2. without effect: inoperative remedies.
3. no longer in effect; void; canceled.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||inoperative - not working or taking effect; "an inoperative law"|
operative - being in force or having or exerting force; "operative regulations"; "the major tendencies operative in the American political system"
adjective out of action, useless, out of order, broken, broken-down, ineffective, buggered (slang, chiefly Brit.), invalid, defective, ineffectual, unworkable, null and void, out of service, out of commission, unserviceable, hors de combat (French), on the fritz (U.S. slang), inefficacious, nonactive The mine has been inoperative since May last year.