intendant(redirected from Intendants)
Also found in: Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to Intendants: League of Augsburg
1. An administrative official serving a French, Spanish, or Portuguese monarch.
2. A district administrator in some countries of Latin America.
[French, from Old French, administrator, from Latin intendēns, intendent-, present participle of intendere, to intend; see intend.]
1. (Historical Terms) history a provincial or colonial official of France, Spain, or Portugal
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a senior administrator in some countries, esp in Latin America
3. a superintendent or manager
1. a person who directs a public business; superintendent.
2. an administrator serving under the French, Spanish, or Portuguese monarchies.
3. a district administrator in Latin America.
[1645–55; < French < Latin intendere]
n → Intendant(in) m(f)