Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The state or quality of being intense; intensity.
2. The act of becoming intense or more intense; intensification.
3. Logic The sum of the attributes contained in a term.
[Latin intēnsiō, intēnsiōn-, from intēnsus, stretched; see intense.]
1. (Logic) logic
a. the set of characteristics or properties by which the referent or referents of a given word are determined: thus, the intension of marsupial is the set containing the characteristics suckling its young and having a pouch. Compare extension11a
b. Compare subjective intension
3. a rare word for intensification. See intensification
1. intensification; increase in degree.
2. intensity; high degree.
3. relative intensity; degree.
4. exertion of the mind; determination.
5. Logic. the set of attributes belonging to all and only those things to which a given term is correctly applied; connotation. Compare extension (def. 11).
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||intension - what you must know in order to determine the reference of an expression|