Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
Related to inter-: dictionary
1. Between; among: international.
2. In the midst of; within: intertropical.
3. Mutual; mutually: interrelate.
4. Reciprocal; reciprocally: intermingle.
1. between or among: international.
2. together, mutually, or reciprocally: interdependent; interchange.
v.t. -terred, -ter•ring.
to place (a dead body) in a grave or tomb; bury.
[1275–1325; Middle English enteren < Middle French enterrer, probably < Vulgar Latin *interrāre, derivative of terra earth; see in-2]
a prefix meaning “between, among,” “mutually, reciprocally”: intercity; interdepartmental; intermarry; interweave.
[Middle English < Latin prefixal use of inter (preposition and adv.); compare interior]
A prefix meaning "between" or "among," as in interplanetary, located between planets.