ironstone(redirected from ironstones)
Also found in: Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A hard white pottery.
2. A rock containing enough iron to permit commercial extraction; an iron ore.
1. (Geological Science) any rock consisting mainly of an iron-bearing ore
2. (Ceramics) Also called: ironstone china a tough durable earthenware
1. any iron-bearing mineral or rock with siliceous impurities.
2. Also called i′ronstone chi′na. a hard white stoneware.
Hard, white pottery introduced by C J Mason in the nineteenth century.