Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to ironwood: ironwood tree
1. Any of numerous trees, such as the hornbeam and the hop hornbeam, that have very hard wood.
2. The wood of any of these trees.
1. (Plants) any of various betulaceous trees, such as hornbeam, that have very hard wood
2. (Plants) a Californian rosaceous tree, Lyonothamnus floribundus, with very hard wood
3. (Plants) any of various other trees with hard wood, such as the mopani
4. the wood of any of these trees
any of various trees, as the hornbeam, yielding a hard, heavy wood.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ironwood - handsome East Indian evergreen tree often planted as an ornamental for its fragrant white flowers that yield a perfume; source of very heavy hardwood used for railroad ties|
tree - a tall perennial woody plant having a main trunk and branches forming a distinct elevated crown; includes both gymnosperms and angiosperms
|2.||ironwood - exceptionally tough or hard wood of any of a number of ironwood trees|
wood - the hard fibrous lignified substance under the bark of trees
|3.||ironwood - a small slow-growing deciduous tree of northern Iran having a low domed shape|
|4.||ironwood - medium-sized hop hornbeam of eastern North America|
genus Ostrya, Ostrya - deciduous monoecious trees of Europe and Asia and America; sometimes placed in subfamily or family Carpinaceae
hop hornbeam - any of several trees resembling hornbeams with fruiting clusters resembling hops