Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
1. Marked by a lack of responsibility: irresponsible accusations.
2. Lacking a sense of responsibility; unreliable or untrustworthy.
3. Not liable to be called to account by a higher authority.
1. One who has no sense of responsibility.
2. One who is unlikely to be called to account by a higher authority.
ir′re·spon′si·bil′i·ty, ir′re·spon′si·ble·ness n.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||irresponsibleness - a form of untrustworthiness; the trait of lacking a sense of responsibility and not feeling accountable for your actions|
undependability, undependableness, unreliability, unreliableness - the trait of not being dependable or reliable
arbitrariness, flightiness, whimsicality, whimsy, whimsey, capriciousness - the trait of acting unpredictably and more from whim or caprice than from reason or judgment; "I despair at the flightiness and whimsicality of my memory"
carefreeness - the trait of being without worry or responsibility