Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to isomerism: optical isomerism, structural isomerism, geometric isomerism, Conformational isomerism
1. The phenomenon of the existence of isomers.
2. The complex of chemical and physical phenomena characteristic of or attributable to isomers.
3. The state or condition of being an isomer.
1. (Chemistry) the existence of two or more compounds having the same molecular formula but a different arrangement of atoms within the molecule. See also stereoisomerism, optical isomerism
2. (General Physics) the existence of two or more nuclides having the same atomic numbers and mass numbers but different energy states
i•som•er•ism(aɪˈsɒm əˌrɪz əm)
1. the relation of two or more compounds, radicals, or ions that are composed of the same kinds and numbers of atoms but differ from each other in structural or spatial arrangement.
2. the relation of two or more nuclides that have the same atomic number and mass number but different energy levels and half-lives.
3. the state or condition of being isomerous.
i•so•mer•ic (ˌaɪ səˈmɛr ɪk) adj.