isthmian(redirected from isthmic)
Also found in: Medical.
Related to isthmic: Isthmic spondylolysis
1. Of, relating to, or forming an isthmus.
2. Of or relating to the Isthmus of Corinth, especially with regard to the biennial Pan-Hellenic games held there in antiquity.
isthmian(ˈɪsθmɪən; ˈɪstmɪən; ˈɪsmɪən) or
(Physical Geography) relating to or situated in an isthmus
Isthmian(ˈɪsθmɪən; ˈɪstmɪən; ˈɪsmɪən)
(Placename) relating to or situated in the Isthmus of Corinth or the Isthmus of Panama
isth•mi•an(ˈɪs mi ən)
1. of or pertaining to an isthmus.
2. (cap.) of or pertaining to the Isthmus of Corinth or the Isthmus of Panama.n.
3. a native or inhabitant of an isthmus.
[1595–1605; < Latin isthmi(us) (< Greek ísthmios of a neck of land, derivative of isthmós isthmus)]
a person who is a native or inhabitant of an isthmus. — isthmian, adj.See also: Anthropology
|Adj.||1.||isthmian - of or relating to or forming an isthmus|