Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. i·vo·ries
a. A hard, smooth, yellowish-white substance composed primarily of dentin that forms the tusks of the elephant.
b. A similar substance forming the tusks or teeth of certain other mammals, such as the walrus.
2. A tusk, especially an elephant's tusk.
3. An article made of ivory.
4. A substance resembling ivory.
5. A pale or grayish yellow to yellowish white.
a. Music Piano keys.
b. Games Dice.
c. Slang The teeth.
1. Composed or constructed of ivory.
2. Of a pale or grayish yellow to yellowish white.
[Middle English ivorie, from Old French ivoire, ivurie, from Latin eboreus, of ivory, from ebur, ebor-, ivory, from Egyptian 3bw, elephant, ivory; see elephant.]