j(redirected from j's)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Games jack
2. or j joule
j 1or J (jā)
n. pl. j's or J's also js or Js
1. The tenth letter of the modern English alphabet.
2. Any of the speech sounds represented by the letter j.
3. The tenth in a series.
4. Something shaped like the letter J.
5. J The hypothetical source of those portions of the Pentateuch in which God is referred to with the Tetragrammaton rather than as Elohim.
[Sense 5, from J(ehovah).]
j 2or J
The symbol for current density.
n, pl j's, J's or Js
1. (Linguistics) the tenth letter and seventh consonant of the modern English alphabet
2. (Phonetics & Phonology) a speech sound represented by this letter, in English usually a voiced palato-alveolar affricate, as in jam
1. (Mathematics) maths the unit vector along the y-axis
2. (General Physics) obsolete Also called: i the imaginary number √–1
1. (General Physics) cards jack
2. (Journalism & Publishing) joule(s)
3. (Electronics) current density
(Automotive Engineering) Japan (international car registration)
n., pl. Js J's, js j's.
1. the tenth letter of the English alphabet, a consonant.
2. any spoken sound represented by this letter.
3. something having the shape of a J.
4. a written or printed representation of the letter J or j.
the tenth in order or in a series.
1. a unit vector on the y-axis of a coordinate system.
2. the imaginary number (-1)^(1/2).
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||J - a unit of electrical energy equal to the work done when a current of one ampere passes through a resistance of one ohm for one second|
erg - a cgs unit of work or energy; the work done by a force of one dyne acting over a distance of one centimeter
|2.||j - the 10th letter of the Roman alphabet|
Latin alphabet, Roman alphabet - the alphabet evolved by the ancient Romans which serves for writing most of the languages of western Europe