jackal(redirected from Jackals)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to Jackals: Anubis
1. Any of several mammals of the genus Canis of Africa, Asia, and southeast Europe, that are chiefly foragers feeding on plants, small animals, and occasionally carrion.
a. One who seeks to gain advantage or profit from the difficulties of another.
b. One who performs menial tasks for another.
[Turkish çakal (influenced in English by Jack, man, fellow), from Persian šaghāl, from Middle Indic sigāl, from Sanskrit śṛgālaḥ, of unknown origin.]
1. (Animals) any of several African or S Asian canine mammals of the genus Canis, closely related to the dog, having long legs and pointed ears and muzzle: predators and carrion-eaters
2. a person who does menial tasks for another
3. a villain, esp a swindler
[C17: from Turkish chakāl, from Persian shagāl, from Sanskrit srgāla]
jack•al(ˈdʒæk əl, -ɔl)
1. any of several nocturnal wild dogs of the genus Canis, esp. C. aureus, of Asia and Africa, that scavenge or hunt in packs.
2. a person who performs dishonest or base deeds as the accomplice of another.
3. a person who performs menial or degrading tasks for another.
[1595–1605; < alter. of Persian shag(h)āl]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||jackal - Old World nocturnal canine mammal closely related to the dog; smaller than a wolf; sometimes hunts in a pack but usually singly or as a member of a pair|
jackal[ˈdʒækɔːl] N → chacal m
jackal[ˈdʒækɔːl] n → chacal m
n → Schakal m
jackal[ˈdʒækɔːl] n → sciacallo
jackal(ˈdʒӕkoːl) , ((American) -kl) noun
a type of wild animal similar to a dog or wolf. jakkals إبْن آوى чакал chacal šakal der Schakal sjakal τσακάλιchacal ðaakal شغال shakaali chacalתן सियार šakal, čagalj sakál anjing hutan sjakali sciacallo ジャッカル 자칼(인도와 북아프리카산의 야생의 개) šakalas šakā-lis serigala jakhalssjakalszakal چغال chacal şacal шакал šakal šakal šakal schakal หมาใน çakal 豺 шакал گیدڑ chó rừng 豺