jackfruit(redirected from jackfruits)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to jackfruits: Artocarpus heterophyllus
1. A tropical evergreen tree (Artocarpus heterophyllus) of South and Southeast Asia, widely cultivated for its very large edible fruits, having pulpy yellow flesh.
2. The fruit of this tree.
[Portuguese jaca (from Malayalam cakkai) + fruit.]
1. (Plants) a tropical Asian moraceous tree, Artocarpus heterophyllus
2. (Plants) the edible fruit of this tree, which resembles breadfruit and can weigh up to 27 kilograms (60 pounds)
[C19: from Portuguese jaca, from Malayalam cakka]
1. a large, tropical tree, Artocarpus heterophyllus, of the mulberry family, with glossy leaves.
2. the knobby, yellow, edible fruit of this plant, reaching the size of a watermelon.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||jackfruit - East Indian tree cultivated for its immense edible fruit and seeds|
jak, jackfruit, jack - immense East Indian fruit resembling breadfruit; it contains an edible pulp and nutritious seeds that are commonly roasted
Artocarpus, genus Artocarpus - evergreen Asiatic trees now grown through the tropics: breadfruit; jackfruit
fruit tree - tree bearing edible fruit
|2.||jackfruit - immense East Indian fruit resembling breadfruit; it contains an edible pulp and nutritious seeds that are commonly roasted|
edible fruit - edible reproductive body of a seed plant especially one having sweet flesh