jade(redirected from jadelike)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. Either of two distinct minerals, nephrite and jadeite, that are generally pale green or white and are used mainly as gemstones or in carving.
2. A carving made of jade.
3. Jade green.
[French (le) jade, (the) jade, alteration of (l')ejade, from Spanish (piedra de) ijada, flank (stone) (from the belief that it cured renal colic), from Vulgar Latin *īliāta, from Latin īlia, pl. of īlium, flank.]
1. A broken-down or useless horse; a nag.
2. A woman regarded as promiscuous.
3. An outgoing, often flirtatious girl.
[Middle English, cart-horse, nag; perhaps akin to Swedish dialectal jälda, mare, possibly of Finno-Ugric origin and akin to Erzya (Finno-Ugric language of Russia) el'd'e and Moksha (Finno-Ugric language of Russia) jäl'd'ä, mare.]
a. a semiprecious stone consisting of either jadeite or nephrite. It varies in colour from white to green and is used for making ornaments and jewellery
b. (as modifier): jade ornaments.
a. the green colour of jade
b. (as modifier): a jade skirt.
[C18: from French, from Italian giada, from obsolete Spanish piedra de ijada colic stone (literally: stone of the flank, because it was believed to cure renal colic); ijada, from Vulgar Latin īliata (unattested) flanks, from Latin īlia, plural of īlium; see ileum]
1. (Horse Training, Riding & Manège) an old overworked horse; nag; hack
2. derogatory or facetious a woman considered to be ill-tempered or disreputable
to exhaust or make exhausted from work or use
[C14: of unknown origin]
1. either of two minerals, jadeite or nephrite, sometimes green, highly esteemed as an ornamental stone for carvings, jewelry, etc.
2. an object, as a carving, made from either mineral.
3. Also called jade′ green′. green, varying from bluish green to yellowish green.
[1585–95; < French < Italian giada < obsolete Sp (piedra de) ijada (stone of) colic < Vulgar Latin *iliata= Latin īli(a) flanks (see ilium) + -ata -ate1; so called because supposed to cure nephritic colic]
n., v. jad•ed, jad•ing. n.
1. a worn-out, broken-down, worthless, or vicious horse.
2. a disreputable, ill-tempered, or indiscreet woman.v.t., v.i.
3. to make or become dull, worn-out, or weary, as from overwork or overuse.
A hard mineral that is pale green or white and is often used as a gemstone. Jade usually forms within metamorphic rocks.
Past participle: jaded
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||jade - a semiprecious gemstone that takes a high polish; is usually green but sometimes whitish; consists of jadeite or nephrite|
opaque gem - a gemstone that is opaque
|2.||jade - a woman adulterer|
|3.||jade - a light green color varying from bluish green to yellowish green|
|4.||jade - an old or over-worked horse|
|Verb||1.||jade - lose interest or become bored with something or somebody; "I'm so tired of your mother and her complaints about my food"|
degenerate, deteriorate, devolve, drop - grow worse; "Her condition deteriorated"; "Conditions in the slums degenerated"; "The discussion devolved into a shouting match"
poop out, conk out, peter out, run down, run out - use up all one's strength and energy and stop working; "At the end of the march, I pooped out"
|2.||jade - exhaust or get tired through overuse or great strain or stress; "We wore ourselves out on this hike"|
indispose - cause to feel unwell; "She was indisposed"
exhaust, tucker, tucker out, wash up, beat - wear out completely; "This kind of work exhausts me"; "I'm beat"; "He was all washed up after the exam"
|Adj.||1.||jade - of something having the color of jade; especially varying from bluish green to yellowish green|
chromatic - being or having or characterized by hue
حَجَر كريم صَلْب
jade(dʒeid) noun, adjective
(of) a type of hard stone, usually green in colour. a piece of jade; jade ornaments. groenkwarts, groengranaat حَجَر كريم صَلْب нефрит jade jadeit; jadeitový der Jade; Jade-... jade νεφρίτηςjade nefriit یشم jade jade אֶבֶן חֵן יְרוּקָה डग्गा, मरियल घोड़ा, औरत, चुड़ै़ल jantar zöld nefrit batu giok jaði giada; di giada ひすい 비취, 옥 nefritas nefrīts jed jadejade jadeit, nefryt پشم jade (de) jad нефрит nefrit; jadeit; jadeitový žad žad, od žada jade หยก yeşim (taşı) 玉，翡翠 нефрит; гагат سبز نگینے کا پتھر ngọc bích 碧玉，翡翠