jenny(redirected from jennies)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to jennies: spinning jennies
n. pl. jen·nies
1. The female of certain animals, especially a donkey or a wren.
2. A spinning jenny.
[From the name Jenny.]
n, pl -nies
1. (Mechanical Engineering) a hand-operated machine for turning up the edge of a piece of sheet metal in preparation for making a joint
2. (Animals) the female of certain animals or birds, esp a donkey, ass, or wren
3. (Mechanical Engineering) short for spinning jenny
[C17: from the name Jenny, diminutive of Jane]
n., pl. -nies.
2. the female of certain animals, esp. a female donkey or a female bird.
[1590–1600; generic use of Jenny, proper name]
A female donkey, but it was also a name sometimes applied to female mules.