jersey(redirected from jerseys)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
The largest of the Channel Islands in the English Channel. It was annexed by the Normans in 933, and French influence has persisted since autonomy was granted in 1204.
n. pl. jer·seys
1. A soft, plain-knitted fabric used for clothing.
a. A shirt worn by an athlete, often displaying the name of the player, team, or sponsor.
b. A close-fitting knitted pullover shirt, jacket, or sweater.
3. often Jersey Any of a breed of fawn-colored dairy cattle developed on the island of Jersey and producing milk that is rich in butterfat.
1. (Placename) an island in the English Channel, the largest of the Channel Islands: forms, with two other islands, the bailiwick of Jersey; colonized from Normandy in the 11th century and still officially French-speaking; noted for finance, market gardening, dairy farming, and tourism. Capital: St Helier. Pop: 95 732 (2013 est). Area: 116 sq km (45 sq miles)
2. (Breeds) a breed of dairy cattle producing milk with a high butterfat content, originating from the island of Jersey
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a knitted garment covering the upper part of the body
a. a machine-knitted slightly elastic cloth of wool, silk, nylon, etc, used for clothing
b. (as modifier): a jersey suit.
3. a football shirt
[C16: from Jersey, from the woollen sweaters traditionally worn by the fishermen]
n., pl. -seys.
1. a plain-knit, machine-made fabric of wool, silk, nylon, etc., characteristically soft and elastic, used for garments.
2. a close-fitting knitted sweater or shirt.
3. (cap.) one of a breed of dairy cattle, raised orig. on the island of Jersey.
[1575–85; after Jersey]
1. a British island in the English Channel: the largest of the Channel Islands. 87,848; 44 sq. mi. (116 sq. km). Cap.: St. Helier.
2. New Jersey.
Jer′sey•an, n., adj.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Jersey - a Mid-Atlantic state on the Atlantic; one of the original 13 colonies|
Battle of Monmouth, Battle of Monmouth Court House, Monmouth Court House - a pitched battle in New Jersey during the American Revolution (1778) that ended with the withdrawal of British forces
U.S.A., United States, United States of America, US, USA, America, the States, U.S. - North American republic containing 50 states - 48 conterminous states in North America plus Alaska in northwest North America and the Hawaiian Islands in the Pacific Ocean; achieved independence in 1776
Mid-Atlantic states - a region of the eastern United States comprising New York and New Jersey and Pennsylvania and Delaware and Maryland
Atlantic City - a city on the Atlantic shore in southeastern New Jersey; a resort and gambling center
capital of New Jersey, Trenton - capital of the state of New Jersey; located in western New Jersey on the Delaware river
Bayonne - a city in northeastern New Jersey
Camden - a city in southwestern New Jersey on the Delaware River near Philadelphia
Jersey City - a city in northeastern New Jersey (opposite Manhattan)
Morristown - a town in northern New Jersey where the Continental Army spent two winters
Newark - the largest city in New Jersey; located in northeastern New Jersey
New Brunswick - a university town in central New Jersey
Paterson - a city of northeastern New Jersey
Princeton - a university town in central New Jersey
Cape May - a cape of southeast New Jersey extending into the Atlantic Ocean
Ellis Island - an island in New York Bay that was formerly the principal immigration station for the United States; "some twelve millions immigrants passed through Ellis Island"
Delaware Bay - an inlet of the North Atlantic; fed by the Delaware River
|2.||Jersey - the largest of the Channel Islands|
Channel Island - any of a group of British islands in the English Channel off the northern coast of France
|3.||jersey - a close-fitting pullover shirt |
shirt - a garment worn on the upper half of the body
|4.||jersey - a slightly elastic machine-knit fabric|
knit - a fabric made by knitting
|5.||Jersey - a breed of diary cattle developed on the island of Jersey|
جرسي: صِدار صوفيقَمِيصٌ مِنَ الصُّوف
áo nịt len
a sweater or pullover. trui, jersie جرسي: صِدار صوفي пуловер blusão svetr; pulovr die Wolljacke sweater πουλόβερjersey, suéter kampsun تن پوش کشباف؛ پلیور villapaita jersey סוודר एक नस्ल की गाय जो अधिक दूध देती है sportska vunena majica pulóver sweater peysa maglia, pullover セーター 메리야스 스웨터, 셔츠 megztinis adīta jaka/svīteris kain jersi truigenser, jumpersweter جرسي، زيرپيراهنى يوډول اودلى نښتى ياچسپ جاكټ camisola de malha jachetă tricotată пуловер sveter volnena jopica džemper tröja เสื้อถักรัดรูป; เสื้อสเวตเตอร์ süveter, kazak 毛衣，套頭毛衣 светр; пуловер سویٹر یا سادہ بنائی کا کپڑا áo nịt len 套头衫, 运动套衫