Jew(redirected from jewed)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. An adherent of Judaism as a religion or culture.
2. A member of the widely dispersed people originally descended from the ancient Hebrews and sharing an ethnic heritage based on Judaism.
3. A native or inhabitant of the ancient kingdom of Judah.
[Middle English Jeu, from Old French giu, from Latin Iūdaeus, from Greek Ioudaios, from Aramaic yəhudāy, from Hebrew yəhûdî, inhabitant of Judah, from yəhûdâ, Judah; see Judah2.]
tr.v. jewed, jew·ing, jews Offensive
1. To bargain shrewdly or unfairly with. Often used with down.
2. To haggle so as to reduce (a price). Often used with down.
[From prejudiced perceptions of Jews as extortionate moneylenders.]
1. (Peoples) a member of the Semitic people who claim descent from the ancient Hebrew people of Israel, are spread throughout the world, and are linked by cultural or religious ties
2. (Judaism) a person whose religion is Judaism
[C12: from Old French juiu, from Latin jūdaeus, from Greek ioudaios, from Hebrew yehūdī, from yehūdāh Judah]
1. a member of a people now living in many countries of the world who trace their descent from the Israelites of the Bible, or from postexilic adherents of Judaism.
2. a person whose religion is Judaism.
3. a subject of the ancient kingdom of Judah.adj.
4. Extremely Offensive. of Jews; Jewish.v.t.
5. (l.c.) Extremely Offensive. to bargain sharply with; beat down in price (often fol. by down).
[1125–75; Middle English jewe, gyu, ju < Old French jui(e)u < Latin jūdaeus < Greek ioudaîos < Aramaic yehūdāi < Hebrew Yəhūdhī, derivative of Yəhūdhāh Judah]
Past participle: Jewed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Jew - a person belonging to the worldwide group claiming descent from Jacob (or converted to it) and connected by cultural or religious ties|
individual, mortal, person, somebody, someone, soul - a human being; "there was too much for one person to do"
Jewry - Jews collectively
Ashkenazi - a Jew of eastern European or German descent
Conservative Jew - Jew who keeps some requirements of Mosaic law but adapts others to suit modern circumstances
Essene - a member of an ascetic Jewish sect around the time of Jesus
Jewess - a woman who is a Jew
Levite - a member of the Hebrew tribe of Levi (especially the branch that provided male assistants to the temple priests)
Orthodox Jew - Jew who practices strict observance of Mosaic law
Pharisee - a member of an ancient Jewish sect noted for strict obedience to Jewish traditions
Reform Jew - liberal Jew who tries to adapt all aspects of Judaism to modern circumstances
Sadducee - a member of an ancient Jewish sect around the time of Jesus; opposed to the Pharisees
Wandering Jew - a legendary Jew condemned to roam the world for mocking Jesus at the Crucifixion
Zealot - a member of an ancient Jewish sect in Judea in the first century who fought to the death against the Romans and who killed or persecuted Jews who collaborated with the Romans
Zionist - a Jewish supporter of Zionism
người Do thái
A. N → judío/a m/f
B. CPD Jew's harp N → birimbao m
Jew[ˈdʒuː] n → Juif(Juive), juif(juive)
Jew[dʒuː] n → ebreo/a
a member of the Jewish people, whose religion is Judaism. Jood يَهودي евреин judeu Žid der Jude jøde Εβραίος judío juut یهودی juutalainen juif/-ive יהודי यहूदी židov zsidó Yahudi ebreo ユダヤ人、ユダヤ教徒 유태교도 žydas ebrejs orang Yahudi joodjøde Zyd جهود، يهود، بنى اسرائيل еврей Žid Jud, Žid Jevrejin jude ผู้นับถือศาสนายิว Yahudi 猶太人, 猶太教徒 єврей یہودی مذہب کا پیرو người Do Thái 犹太人，犹太教徒Jewish (-iʃ) adjective
Jewish food; the Jewish New Year. Joodse يَهودي еврейски judeu židovský jüdisch jødisk εβραϊκόςjudío juudi وابسته به مذهب یهود juutalainen juif/-ive יהודי यूहदी židovski zsidó(s) Yahudi ebraico ユダヤ人の 유태인의 žydų, žydiškas ebreju Yahudi joodsjødisk, jøde-żydowski جهود، يهود، بنى اسرائيل еврейский židovský judovski, židovski jevrejski judisk เกี่ยวกับชาวยิวหรือศาสนายิว Yahudi 猶太人的 єврейський; іудейський یہودییت سے متعلق thuộc về người Do Thái 犹太人的