jihad(redirected from jihads)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to jihads: jehad
1. Islam An individual's striving for spiritual self-perfection.
2. Islam A Muslim holy war or spiritual struggle for the propagation or defense of Islam.
3. A campaign against perceived foes, especially such a campaign regarded as fanatical or immoderate: "The war against smoking is turning into a jihad against people who smoke" (Fortune).
1. (Islam) Islam a holy war against infidels undertaken by Muslims in defence of the Islamic faith
2. (Islam) Islam the personal struggle of the individual believer against evil and persecution
3. rare a crusade in support of a cause
[C19: from Arabic jihād a conflict]
1. a holy war undertaken as a sacred duty by Muslims.
2. any vigorous, emotional crusade for an idea or principle.
[1865–70; < Arabic jihād struggle, strife]
An Arabic word meaning conflict, used especially to mean a holy war waged by Muslims against infidels.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||jihad - a holy war waged by Muslims against infidels|
|2.||jihad - a holy struggle or striving by a Muslim for a moral or spiritual or political goal|