Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to jingo: jingoism, Jango
n. pl. jin·goes
One who vociferously supports one's country, especially one who supports a belligerent foreign policy; a chauvinistic patriot.
1. Of or relating to a chauvinistic patriot.
2. Characterized by chauvinistic patriotism.
Used for emphasis or to express surprise: By jingo, I'm leaving here in spite of the blizzard.
[From the phrase by jingo, used in the refrain of a bellicose 19th-century English music-hall song, from alteration of Jesus.]
n, pl -goes
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a loud and bellicose patriot; chauvinist
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) jingoism
3. by jingo an exclamation of surprise
[C17: originally perhaps a euphemism for Jesus; applied to bellicose patriots after the use of by Jingo! in the refrain of a 19th-century music-hall song]
n., pl. -goes.
a person who professes belligerent patriotism.
[from the phrase by Jingo in a political song supporting use of British forces against Russia in 1878]