Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An object used as a fetish, a charm, or an amulet in West Africa.
2. The supernatural power ascribed to such an object.
[Of West African origin; akin to the source of Hausa jūjū, fetish, evil spirit.]
A style of Nigerian popular music featuring electric guitars and traditional drums.
1. (Anthropology & Ethnology) an object superstitiously revered by certain W African peoples and used as a charm or fetish
2. (Anthropology & Ethnology) the power associated with a juju
3. (Anthropology & Ethnology) a taboo effected by a juju
4. any process in which a mystery is exploited to confuse people
[C19: probably from Hausa djudju evil spirit, fetish]
n., pl. -jus.
1. a fetish or amulet used by some West African peoples.
2. the magical power attributed to such an object.
3. a ban or interdiction effected by it.
4. a style of Nigerian popular music using electric guitars, traditional drums, and call-and-response singing.
1. A Nigerian musical style with roots in the traditional drumbased music of the Yoruba people.
2. An object used in Africa as a charm, fetish, or amulet.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||juju - the power associated with a juju|
|2.||juju - a charm superstitiously believed to embody magical powers|