Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. Land covered with a dense growth of tropical vegetation.
2. A dense thicket or growth.
3. A dense, confused mass; a jumble.
4. Something made up of many confused elements; a bewildering complex or maze: sorting through the jungle of regulations.
5. A place or milieu characterized by intense, often ruthless competition or struggle for survival: the corporate jungle.
6. Slang A place where hoboes camp.
[Ultimately from Sanskrit jaṅgalam, desert, wasteland, uncultivated area, from jaṅgala-, desert, waste.]
jun′gly (-glē) adj.