Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Architecture A wedge-shaped stone at the top of an arch, often larger or more ornamented than the other voussoirs. Also called headstone.
2. The central supporting element of a whole.
1. (Building) Also called: headstone or quoin the central stone at the top of an arch or the top stone of a dome or vault
2. something that is necessary to connect or support a number of other related things
1. the wedge-shaped piece at the summit of an arch, regarded as holding the other pieces in place.
2. something on which associated things depend; foundation.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||keystone - a central cohesive source of support and stability; "faith is his anchor"; "the keystone of campaign reform was the ban on soft money"; "he is the linchpin of this firm"|
support - something providing immaterial assistance to a person or cause or interest; "the policy found little public support"; "his faith was all the support he needed"; "the team enjoyed the support of their fans"
|2.||keystone - the central building block at the top of an arch or vault|
arch - (architecture) a masonry construction (usually curved) for spanning an opening and supporting the weight above it
building block - a block of material used in construction work