kiloton(redirected from kilotonnes)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to kilotonnes: gigaton, Megatonne
n. Abbr. kt
1. A unit of weight or capacity equal to 1,000 metric tons.
2. An explosive energy equivalent to that of 1,000 metric tons of TNT.
1. (Units) one thousand tons
2. (Units) an explosive power, esp of a nuclear weapon, equal to the power of 1000 tons of TNT
1. a unit of weight, equal to 1000 tons.
2. an explosive force equal to that of 1000 tons of TNT.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||kiloton - one thousand tons|
avoirdupois unit - any of the units of the avoirdupois system of weights
megaton - one million tons
|2.||kiloton - a measure of explosive power (of an atomic weapon) equal to that of 1000 tons of TNT|
explosive unit - any unit for measuring the force of explosions