Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to labial: labial swelling, labial surface
1. Of or relating to the lips or labia.
2. Linguistics Articulated mainly by closing or partly closing the lips, as the sounds (b), (m), or (w).
1. Linguistics A labial consonant.
2. Music See flue1.
[Medieval Latin labiālis, from Latin labium, lip; see leb- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
1. (Anatomy) of, relating to, or near lips or labia
2. (Music, other) music producing sounds by the action of an air stream over a narrow liplike fissure, as in a flue pipe of an organ
3. (Phonetics & Phonology) phonetics relating to a speech sound whose articulation involves movement or use of the lips: a labial click.
4. (Music, other) music Also called: labial pipe an organ pipe with a liplike fissure
5. (Phonetics & Phonology) phonetics a speech sound such as English p or m, whose articulation involves movement or use of the lips
[C16: from Medieval Latin labiālis, from Latin labium lip]
la•bi•al(ˈleɪ bi əl)
1. of, pertaining to, or resembling a labium.
2. of or pertaining to the lips.
3. (of a speech sound) articulated using one or both lips, as the sounds (p), (v), (m), (w), or (o̅o̅).n.
4. a labial speech sound, esp. a consonant.
[1585–95; < Medieval Latin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||labial - a consonant whose articulation involves movement of the lips|
consonant - a speech sound that is not a vowel
bilabial - a consonant that is articulated using both lips; /p/ or /b/ or /w/
labial stop - a stop consonant that is produced with the lips
|Adj.||1.||labial - of or relating to the lips of the mouth; "labial stops"|
|2.||labial - relating to or near the female labium|
a. labial, rel. a los labios;
___ branches of mental nerve → ramas labiales del nervio mentoniano;
___ glands → glándulas labiales;
___ hernia → hernia ___;
___ occlusion → oclusión ___;
___ splint → férula ___;
___ veins → venas labiales.